Certifications and Qualifications to Look for in Large Bore Pipe FabricatorsJuly 15, 2015
The successful relationship a fabricator forms with one of their clients specifically those that manufacture large bore pipe, is generally long-term. It is worth the investment of careful research at the beginning of a relationship to make sure that the choice of fabricator is strong. The best three areas to investigate include past performance and experience, certifications, and qualifications. Doing homework in these three areas maximizes the chances of a successful, long-term relationship.
CertificationsSome of the essential certifications of a large bore pipe manufacturer include the following:
- ASME, Code and Standards, Welding Procedure Specifications, Welder Procedure Qualifications
- Pressure Vessel Inspection Code Stamps U, S
- NBIC- National Board Inspection Code Stamp R
QualificationsA highly-qualified fabrication facility will have one or more chief engineers with significant design skills and a qualified support group with the ability and experience to implement engineering designs, to perform installations, and to service on-site systems. Some specific qualifications will include:
- Selecting the appropriate materials for carrying out large bore pipe fabrication in the fab facility.
- Implementation of an established, proven quality control system to ensure client project compliance.
- Quality assurance of in process and completed fabricated items including specified NDE, pressure testing of pipes and pipework assemblies. All according to a recognized quality standard.