Recap Of The Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) In Houston 2013
STI Group recently had the opportunity to participate in the annual Offshore Technology Conference. OTC is a global event centered on the development of offshore resources in the fields of exploration, drilling, and production in the Oil and Gas Industry and includes an emphasis on environmental protection. This yearly event is always held in Houston during the first full week of May. It began in 1969 and now boasts a yearly attendance of over 80,000 people from more than 110 countries who represent over 2,700 companies. With attendance numbers like this…it is easy to see why this is a can’t-miss event.
Facts About OTC
The Offshore Technology Conference is run by a group of 13 organizations and societies who are involved in the energy industry and who take an active role in the development and advancement of technology related to this sector. The organizations are comprised of the following:
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG)
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
- American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers (AIME)
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- ASME International Petroleum Technology Institute (ASME-PD)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Oceanic and Engineering Society (IEEE-OES)
- Marine Technology Society (MTS)
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration Inc. (SME)
- Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers (SNAME)
- Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS)
- Brazilian Petroleum, Gas and Biofuels Institute (IBP)
In addition to these organizations OTC is also endorsed by:
- International Association of Drilling Contractors (IADC)
- Petroleum Equipment Suppliers Association (PESA)
It is supported by:
- American Association of Drilling Engineers (AADE)
- American Petroleum Institute (API)
- Association of Energy Service Companies (AESC)
- ASTM International
- Independent Petroleum Association of America (IPAA)
- Institute of Marine Engineering, Science, and Technology (IMarEST)
- International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA)
- International Society of Automation (ISA)
- National Ocean Industries Association (NOIA)
- Research Partnership to Secure Energy for America (RPSEA)
Each year OTC is held at Houston’s Reliant Center. This year was a particularly landmark occasion because the conference reached a 30-year high of 104,800. This signified a 17% rise from last year. In addition attendance to the event’s sold-out exhibition was the largest in show history at 652,185 ft², up from 641,350 ft² in 2012. The event also has 244 new exhibitors in 2013. There were 9 panel sessions and 29 executive keynote presentations. Governors from 6 states plus U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewel were present.
In addition to the important US individuals mentioned above, there were also a number of foreign dignitaries, including Norway’s Crown Prince Haakon and his wife, the Crown Princess Mette-Marit. Energy ministers and national oil company senior executives also participated in panel discussions about future supply challenges and how governments and companies should be involved.
The OTC also played a significant educational role. There were more than 100 Houston-area teachers and 200 students present for the event. This was crucial because the information and discussions taking place will shape the industry’s future and may well have an important influence on tomorrow’s leaders.
Companies In Attendance
Some very major companies were also in attendance at the OTC. These companies are very important in the energy industry and in the development of offshore technology. Among others some of the big names present included:
- British Petroleum
- Aker Solutions
- Baker Hughes
- Worley Parsons
- Fuel Fix
- Lockheed Martin
STI Group Announces Process Engineering at OTC
As our manufacturing and fabrication divisions grow, we have subsequently felt the need to increase our engineering and design capabilities. We were excited to utilize OTC as the platform to announce our expansion into process engineering. This strategic move allows us to provide completely turnkey equipment manufacturing design and customization. We can help you create the equipment solution your project requires without any pre-existing plans or designs.
Our vertical production gives you a single point of contact from concept to delivery. Your equipment selection is no longer limited to existing designs, giving you the ability to increase efficiency and output by tailoring the equipment to the unique needs of the field.
The Offshore Technology Conference has again proven to be an extremely valuable resource to the Oil and Gas Industry. STI Group has plans to continue supporting and exhibiting the OTC Trade Show in 2014 for many more years to come.